The salsa does more than bring a spicy kick; along with the spinach and whole-wheat tortilla, it contributes fiber. The beans do, too — and they also lend a protein boost.
- Prep Time10 minutes
- Total Time10 minutes
- Yield Serves 1
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed, mashed with a fork
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas (8-inch)
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese (2 ounces)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa, for serving
- Spread beans over half of each tortilla. Top with spinach and cheese; season generously with salt and pepper. Fold tortillas in half over fillings.
- When it’s time to eat, place quesadillas on a microwave-safe plate; cook on high power until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with salsa.
Night before: Assemble the quesadillas, place in a portable container, and put in the fridge. Using frozen spinach saves on cooking time.